Monday, March 18, 2013

The Writing Commitment: Synopsis

I'm just going to start off by saying, right now, that I don't know what the plural of 'synopsis' is. I've seen synopsi, synopsises... I just know that spell check doesn't like any of them. Feel free to tell me what it is, if you know, in the comments.

Anyway.

The synopsis is important... and it's not important. It all depends on a huge number of factors.

IF YOU WANT AN AGENT... Synopsises may or may not matter at all. Nelson Literary never asks people to submit synopsises. If you read that agency's blog for a period of time, Kristin Nelson will mention that it's rare to see a well-written synopsis. However, BG Literary wants to see a synopsis with the query letter. Both of these agencies represent a large number of clients, including many award-winners and best-sellers, so you can't say anything about agency quality by their requirements. However, you should have one ready to go. My first synopsis was written in a panic shortly after my second partial request, when the agent wanted to see 50 pages and the (nonexistent) synopsis.

IF YOU WANT A TRADITIONAL PUBLISHER... Synopsises will probably matter. Agents will help you write and polish them, if you have an agent, but the overall synopsis will be your work. Synopsises are useful tools that allow even people who haven't read the book to have ideas about who the characters are and what occurs in it, which means they'll have easier times when discussing, marketing, and selling your book if you have a good one.

IF YOU ARE SELF PUBLISHED... A synopsis likely won't matter. In fact, many readers-- myself included-- will likely consider a full synopsis to spoil the book.

None of this, of course, answers the key question you may be wondering about right now:

WHAT IS A SYNOPSIS?

To put it bluntly, a synopsis is your book if it were two pages long. Actually, two pages might be pushing it; the most common request I've seen is for a one-page synopsis. Some are fine with two page, and before I started actively researching synopsis-needing agents, I heard of agents who would be okay with five-page synopsises... but I have a list of 50 agents I can submit to, and none of them would be okay with 5 pages.

Now, writing a synopsis is hard. I've found a lot of advice on doing it, but here are the key things you need to know.

First, decide who your main character is. If you have multiple viewpoints, many characters, choose one. Just one. Trying to do otherwise will give everyone involved a headache.

Try to start with a quick description-- maybe two or three sentences-- of who that character is. Then dive into everything else. Go in order-- I don't care if your story is written in flashbacks, start at the first event and keep going. Write in present tense. Name all of the key characters. Mention every major event. Include how it affects them.

This is all harder than it sounds, and will be doubly so because you're no doubt attached to your story. Try writing one or two synopsises about other stories to practice: the first Harry Potter, The Wizard of Oz, or even a movie like Avatar. Something you know really well. For examples, go to the following link; that has lots of practical advice, as well as a number of sample synopsises... but it may not be the most useful link, in many regards.


For more solid, practical and condensed advice, I'd recommend going here: http://www.stellacameron.com/contrib/synopsis.html

And, to be perfectly honest, the advice that helped me most was not about synopsises. By the time I found it, I had six or eight bad drafts, so I knew what I was doing, but this helped me put it to practical use. I'd recommend you start with the one-sentence pitch. http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/05/one-sentence-one-paragraph-and-two.html

That's all from me for now.

Happy Writing,

-Alaina

No comments:

Post a Comment